James Power was a coaching innkeeper of 109 Thomas Street Dublin; in 1791 he built a small distillery behind his hostelry. At the turn of the century his son John joined James in the business. Initially called James Powers & Son by 1809 they had become a limited company under the name of John Power and Son with the father remaining in charge. The business continued to grow successfully with relocation at some point before 1822 to John’s lane. The distillery at the time covered almost 7 acres north of Thomas Street to Usher’s Quay on the banks of the Liffey. The 1871 rebuilding in the classic Victorian style was one of Dublin’s most impressive sights. The success the company enjoyed had it benefits for a family that within a generation had risen from innkeepers to members of Dublin’s high society. John Power was knighted and became High Sheriff of Dublin. Such was his standing that it was he who laid the foundation stone for the O’Connell Monument. Powers remained a leading player in the Irish whiskey industry until 1966 when they merged with the only two remaining distillers in the Irish republic, Cork Distillers Company and their long time rivals John Jameson & Son. Together these three distilleries formed the Irish Distillers Group.
The nose is gentle and light with notes of caramel and cereal sweetness, a little honey and a touch of malt. The palate is soft and sublimely silken. There are notes of honey, cedar, malt and cereal grains. The finish is of medium-length with honey and juicy cereals.